Sunday, December 30, 2007

Do I smell smoke?

I thought I smelled smoke one morning - and not just the smoke of the ubiquitous cherry bombs and firecrackers which every boy over the age of 3 seems to have in endless supply - but smoke as in "hmmm, is something burning?" Once I deduced nothing in my place was on fire, I went to the balcony where I spotted lots of smoke coming from a business on the ground floor about two doors down from me. A police officer was on the scene first and joined dozens of five and six-year old boys in observing the smoke, and then came the fire trucks. One was a regular ladder truck, and the other was this....




I just love it. It looks like a toy truck. I feel like I time warped to the past to watch a fire being put out. I never did figure out where the fire was exactly although I think it was in the hairdressers. It smelled for days afterwards but other than that and ankle deep water where the firemen pointed the hose, there were no other consequences.

No comments: